Thursday, June 30, 2011

I love reading other blogs. Sometimes I waste way too much time doing that. But I often find myself thinking, wow, they are really together. The blog looks cute, the house in the background looks clean (yeah, sometimes I look in the background of pictures to see what I can find), they're doing all these fun creative activities with the kids, and to top it all off, all the children are fully clothed (sometimes I have a hard time finding pictures to use where both the boys are wearing real clothes and not just a diaper and underwear). I wonder how those people do it. So maybe for those out there who feel the same way I do, or maybe just to make myself feel a little better tonight, here is post about chaos and craziness.
I felt like today was a crazy day, though really I guess it probably wasn't too much out of the ordinary. Probably everything is just getting thrown off because I'm working on painting the stupid bathroom, a project I started back in March but kind of put on hold. Because of the strip of wall paper that was taking forever to get off. So since I've been doing that when I have any spare time, other things are getting pushed to the back burner. Like the dishes. And the laundry. And sweeping.

This afternoon after the boys woke up from their naps we hurried to the library to get a CD book for Brice he's been wanting (and asking every day when he gets home, "Did you get my book?") and I forgot that Cameron's little umbrella stroller was in the car at work with Brice. So I had to lug him into the library and carry him around the whole time we were in there. And then of course he pooped. Jace was picking out a video (yes, here I will point out that he was picking out a VIDEO not a book) and so when I told him we had to go the bathroom to change Cameron's diaper he threw a major fit. And the librarians were having some kind of library personnel meeting in the kid area so they all turned to look. I'm struggling to not drop Cameron and the diaper bag in one arm, my legs shaking with the weight of him, and the other arm is holding onto Jace as he flings himself backward screaming, "But my video, my VIDEO!" like I'm trying to kidnap him or something. I dragged him out of the children's section and against my whispered (actually more like hissed) threats about leaving right then, I still let him go back and get his precious video. We still had to find the book for Brice, and honestly having to carry Cameron and my arm feeling like fire was really throwing me off my discipline game.
Once home from the library I put in the precious video for the boys to watch and tried to start dinner. Spaghetti. With no plan of any vegetables or other healthy side dish. Just spaghetti. But the video was not entertaining enough (I should have known better than to let Jace pick out one) so they weren't really watching the video. Instead they were aggravating each other. And as I browned the meat I kept hearing this, "Cameron!! No! Stop it!" followed by a "Da da da da da da da" (pretty much all Camers can say back). Usually after that there would be a thud and then Cameron would start crying.  And then I would yell, "Sit down and watch TV or you're going to time out!" Great parenting skills, I know.  And both of the boys wouldn't stay out of the kitchen so for their safety (but really my sanity) I put up the baby gate (which doubles, don't you know, as a puppy gate. Because that's how we roll).



Here they are shaking the gate and yelling for freedom.  Already partners in crime.  And you can tell that Camers loves every minute of it.



Don't they both look so precious and unannoying? And if you're looking into the background of these pictures let me help you out. It's kind of dark (because the light was off. I thought that might help soothe them) you will see a laundry basket in front of a fan. The fan is on high because we later discovered this evening that something is wrong with the air conditioner and at that time I was sweating profusely. The basket is blocking the fan because Cameron wouldn't stop climbing up trying to grab the rotating blades. There are clothes strewn all over the living room and they were folded but they were in the basket. And Camers thought he would have better luck getting to the fan if he threw them out.

We ate a successful dinner and then I left the boys safely in their chairs to start the bathwater. Jace started yelling for me, saying he was stuck. I thought perhaps he was trying to get down and got stuck. But no that would be too normal. Instead he got his finger stuck in the parmesian cheese lid.

I had to call for reinforcement because no amount of pulling on my part would get it out. I even tried greasing it up and soaking it in cold water to get it to shrink. Granny and Poppy came over to save the day. They finally got it cut off with a razor and finger nail clippers. I probably would have cut off his finger had I tried to do it myself. Blah.



And yes, underwear is the outfit Jace sports anytime he eats spaghetti.  To save clothes from horrible spaghetti sauce stains.

After baths and bedtime Brice came home and we discovered the air conditioner was frozen. And also, just about two minutes ago I decided to investigate the burning smell I was attributing to fireworks from the neighbors. Not fireworks. No no. It's the hard boiled eggs that I started before I began this post. Now it is a burned pan and cracked, useless eggs. Blah. And now I'm noticing a little red sign at the bottom of this page that says, "An error ocurred while saving". So who knows whether this will be published or not.











5 comments:

Celeste said...

Wow- chalk that day up for the history books. I just think you're awesome for being able to laugh about it (even if it is later on). And the only reason my children are clothed in pictures now is because we got AC last summer and it's not boiling hot so I can keep clothing on them sometimes. And who knew fingers fit in the cheese lid but not out. Gald you had assistance.

Jillane said...

I love this story! You are so funny Leilani and a great mom! You make me giggle and I love it.

The Sandall's said...

Well I'm glad you don't count me with those perfect mommas... cause we both now I'm far from you. But you, you're pretty close! Love the post... poor Jace... Did he get scared at all that he was going to lose his finger. Jkin---I know not a joking matter! Camers is such a cutie!!! Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks!

stockholmstrom said...

I think I peed my pants a little! Like, for real. That picture of Jace with his finger in the cold water (and through the cheese lid) is priceless! Put that in the album to bring out when he brings his first girlfriend home. Thanks for making me feel normal. For the record, River ate spaghetti in her diaper tonight (with no veggie sides) while I scrubbed the crayon art she left me on the kitchen and living room floors. Piper ate chicken nuggets (again, no veggies) with face paint on to make her look like a cat. It is not Halloween; she was not in a play. She just felt the need to be a cat today. Kids. Gotta love 'em!

Melanie said...

"After baths and bedtime Brice came home" -- husbands have no clue what we go through on a regular bases! I totally got the visual of the whole library fiasco! I keep my kitchen baby gated too for the same reason -- a little sanity in the chaos! What a great post! Thanks Leilani! You're doing great!